Spring into April with these Taylor Made Home Maintenance and Housekeeping Tips!
It’s been a long, dark, wet and cold winter. With April here and the sun starting to peak out from behind those grey clouds, comes some warmth and a great excuse to get outside and get some fresh air. Think of it this way, all this new sunshine is like a limelight for your gutters packed with fallen leaves, cracked sidewalks and dying plants from the fall.
Here are some Taylor made tips to get your home in tip top shape for the busy spring Real Estate Market.
- Use a butter knife or a flathead screwdriver to inspect the wood trim around your doors, windows, decks and railings. Its a good idea to get on top of this before the heavy Vancouver spring rains cause any additional damage to any exposed wood.
- Protect your home against water damage by thoroughly inspecting the home for dripping water and any kind of corrosion on any unconcealed piping around your sinks, toilets and appliances. O-rings, flappers, & cartridges that can be found at your local hardware store and are of the most common quick solutions for leaky toilets and piping.
- Inspect your gutters to make sure they are not lose or leaking. Water damage can result from improper drainage and often water can even get into your basement and crawl space from this. The downspouts of the gutters should drain away from the foundation and you should always make sure that it can drain freely without any debris or blockage.
- Take a good look at any concrete slabs for signs of cracks of any kind or movement. Exterior concrete slabs, with the except of pool decks, typically should be able to freely drain away from your home’s foundation. If you can, and the weather permits, power wash the concrete and fill cracks in the concrete with a concrete crack filler or silicone caulk.
- Fill the low areas in the yard or next to the foundation with compacted soil. The harsh Vancouver BC rains from our Spring months can cause the yard to flood. Yard flooding can lead to flooding of the foundation and cause some pretty serious damage. Insects also breed in these areas come summer, so you can also avoid some nasty bug bites by following this simple tip.
- Visually inspect the roof shingles to see if any of the shingles or tiles have been damaged and/or lost over the winter. Buckled, cracked or loose, and shingles with missing granules will need to be replaced. You may want to start budgeting for some roof work if your roof is older and shingles are starting to become dislodged or damaged. The west coast summers in BC can get pretty hot and the sun can actually do some significant damage to roof shingles. Call a qualified roofer for repairs involving any flashing around plumbing vents, chimneys, and skylights.
The good news is that summer is just around the corner! You will likely want to enjoy the summer in the shade with a cool drink in your hand, instead of dealing with some serious problems resulting from any house maintenance neglect. Take the time out of your busy schedule to follow these simple tips and feel free to contact us for any additional tips or questions that may help prepare your home for the crazy spring market or the hot west coast summer ahead.
Notice: Theme without comments.php is deprecated since version 3.0.0 with no alternative available. Please include a comments.php template in your theme. in /home/westcoastestates/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3962