You’ve sold your place and now bought a new one…. Or…. your a first time home owner moving out of your Mom’s basement and you now have to collect all of your things and sort them in to boxes for the big move. Here are a couple of tips on how to get cardboard boxes for free to help keep those hefty moving costs lower.
- Craigslist. A quick search in the free section (found underneath the “for sale” heading) you will be sure to find some free unwanted boxes from someone else’s recent move.
- Liquor stores. For many of us, we visit this place on a regular anyway…. Why not ask for their boxes? They will often have boxes with lids. Considering their boxes tend to carry precious cargo, liquor store boxes tend to be small and sturdy—great for books, glasses, stereo equipment and other heavy items.
- Grocery Stores. Ask them to save their apple boxes for you to pickup! These freebies are excellent for moving fragile items! Dont forget to wrap those items in paper or bubble wrap!
- McDonald’s fry boxes. Fry boxes are strong and also excellent for hauling heavy items that require a smaller sized box. Great for moving tools, cats and other household items.
- Starbucks. Starbucks boxes range in size so you may have a wide variety to choose from, perfect for those weird things you are not sure if your going to throw out at the end of your move.
- U-haul Box Exchange. U-haul has a few different options for you to obtain your boxes. You can buy new boxes from them at a moderate cost, buy used boxes or find free ones from former box owners form your area. Just google their site and you’ll find the different options under their “Boxes and Packing Supplies” Section.
What additional places do you go to for free moving boxes?
We would love to hear from you!